Your roof is important. That seems like a pretty obvious statement, but the crown of your home serves more than one purpose. Not only does it shield you from the elements, but a roof actually accounts for a whopping 40% of your home’s curb appeal.
A roof is, simply put, the single most important feature of a home. So, shouldn’t you feel secure in knowing that your roof will safely cover your head for years to come? Most roofs installed before the year 2000 were built to last somewhere between 20-25 years. That means there are thousands of roofs throughout New Jersey that are hitting the end of their lifespan every day. At Blue Nail, we find that to be unacceptable. That is why the roof systems that we install come with a guaranteed lifetime warranty.
But how can you know if your roof is starting to fail?
Some telltale signs include:
- Dark spots on the inside of your roof decking
- Dirty, cracking, curling, or buckling shingles
- Missing shingles
- The roof seems oddly “shiny”
- Blistering or peeling interior paint
- Shingle granules in your gutters
- Ceiling or wall stains
- Leaks in the attic
- An unusually high energy bill
- A sagging roof appearance
- Dark Spots and trails on the roof exterior
- A roof that was built before 2000
At Blue Nail, we provide a variety of high quality roofing services, up to and including the complete replacement of your existing roof. Our services ensure that your home remains protected from the elements beneath a complete roofing system. This consists of proper roofing underlayment, shingle installation, and ventilation.
The roofing installation process utilized by Blue Nail has multiple steps, all designed to erect the perfect roof that will stand the test of time. The process varies depending on the present condition of your roof, but it typically occurs in seven simple steps.
- Planning – We will measure the size of your roof to create a perfect roofing plan designed to expedite installation and have the least amount of impact on your life.
- Removal of the Old Roof – We remove the old shingles and tar paper utilizing stripper and other chemicals to dissolve the solvent so that your roof with have a brand-new freshness.
- Sheathing – Sheathing creates the bottom of your new roof. It is during this process that we also mark out and cut space for proper ventilation.
- Water Guard – Water guarding shields your home from harmful leaks. Using adhesive products, we ensure that there are no gaps in your sealant for moisture to slip through.
- Underlayment – We use Synthetic Deck Protection for the underlayment process and install it with roofing nails. Underlayment covers the entirety of the roof.
- Flashing – This is another level of leak protection. We apply this to all corners of your roof, the rising area, and around the base of your chimney.
- Shingles – We overlay the shingles toward the top of the roof by nailing them in place. We systematically lay them out and rise with each new row.
Blue Nail also helps you to make an informed decision regarding colors and materials. We can produce a digital model of your house so that you can easily see what style of roof works best for you.
Another common matter that all of our roofing systems address is ventilation. A properly ventilated roof is important, especially for those long and bitterly cold New Jersey winters. Heaters, dish washers, stoves, and showers all emit warm air. Heat rises, and that air needs to go somewhere. If your roof is not properly ventilated, moisture will build up beneath it.
In the summer months, when the heat is already intense, this additional hot air will exacerbate issues, increasing the chances that roof components will crack or prematurely age.
These potentially disastrous scenarios can all be avoided with proper ventilation. By ensuring that heat can escape through the roof, you are increasing the durability of your home. Negative force is created through balanced ventilation. This blows out the warm air while regulating fresh air. What’s more, this process requires no energy consumption whatsoever.
A properly ventilated roof can:
- Create a drier and cooler attic
- Ensure that fresh air flows in easily while warm air is blown out
- Averts the presence of mildew, peeling paint, rotting, warped siding, and other wall damages brought about by warm air.
- Averts the trapping of moisture in structural wood, insulation, roof decks, and shingles.
Just because there’s no damning issue with your roof at the moment does not mean that maintenance is unnecessary. Preventative roof maintenance is something that every home owner should have done annually to ensure that their most valuable home asset is still functioning like new. Roofs installed before 2000 are more susceptible to wear and tear. While most will need an eventual replacement, that can be pushed off into the future with regular preventative maintenance.
The team at Blue Nail stands at the ready to assist with your roofing maintenance needs. We will ascertain the state of your roof and dispatch some of the finest roofing contractors New Jersey has to offer to see that your home’s dome is solid and keeps you protected.
Why wait until there’s water pouring down onto your head to make the call? With preventative maintenance you solve problems before they severely impact your life. Having a skilled professional assess any weak points in your roof is important for continued stability. While there are some tell tale signs that problems exist, it is hard to gauge the true level of what needs to be done from the ground. To that end, it is important to have regular roof inspections so that we can figure out what needs to be maintained in order to save you a major headache down the road.
Consider regular maintenance to be like a doctor’s office visit for your home. Much like you go in for an annual checkup, your roof also requires a regular examination to ensure that it has a clean bill of health.
If you’ve neglected preventative maintenance, or a large storm like a hurricane has left your roof damaged, you need repairs that you can trust. The team at Blue Nail is ready to assist, providing high quality repair services throughout New Jersey.
One of the most common roof repairs that we specialize in comes in the form of leak management. Leaving leaks in your roof untreated can cause serious issues throughout the home. Among them, structural damage to your attic, ruined drywall, cracked paint, and destroyed insulation.
Dangerous mold is another common side effect of untreated roof leaks. Wet wood can begin to sprout fungal growth, which can negatively impact the air quality of your home. Mold releases spores into the air. Those spores are dispersed throughout the home where you, your family, and your pets can breathe them in. There are many varieties of mold that can be harmful to your respiratory health, spreading sickness throughout the house.
Perhaps the single greatest threat from leakage comes from the warping of vital support beams. If left untreated over time, these beams will no longer have the structural strength needed to hold the weight of your roof. When this happens, beams can break, and roofs can collapse. By leaving leaks unrepaired you roll a dangerous set of dice which could turn a small problem into a much larger and more costly ordeal.
If your roof is leaking during a storm:
- Lay down buckets and towels. Place the buckets below the leak to catch incoming water. Empty the buckets into the sink or bathtub regularly to ensure that no overflow spillage occurs.
- Poke a small hole in ceiling drywall to allow the water to be released and prevent further ceiling damage. This drains the leak and doesn’t give it time to pool in your attic. If the leak is trickling down a wall, guide the water by inserting a long nail into the punctured hole and running a string from the nail into the bucket.
- Call Blue Nail immediately. Walk us through the exact specifics of your leak. We need information such as what room the leak is showing in, and whether it is taking place in the front or back of the home. The more description you’re able to provide, the easier it will be for us to help.
Once the storm has ended, mop up any water on the floor to avoid damage to any carpets or tiles. Open the windows to help the room dry out. Use fans if necessary.
Contact Us Today
Blue Nail is proud to offer the most comprehensive roofing solutions in the state of New Jersey. If your roof requires any kind of service, from maintenance, to repairs, all the way up to a complete roof replacement, Blue Nail is the experienced team you can trust.
To schedule a free consultation, which includes a digital model of your home, call us at (973) 937-8876.